Thursday, April 29, 2010

Quick trip back East

Back in February, I took a quick trip back east for my nephew's memorial service at Arlington Cemetary in Washington DC.  Even though the circumstances were very sad, I'm really glad I went.  The ceremony was beautiful.  Lance Corporal Eric Ward was a wonderful young man who served his country as a young Marine and died at the age of 19.  He was killed in Afganistan.  My sister, Dana and brother-in-law, Steven are making it through one day at a time.  My heart aches for them.  Being at the memorial service was an experience I will never forget.  I truly see our soliders in a different light.  And I am even more proud to be an American after this experience.

Before the service Kevin and Kelly so graciously let me stay with them a couple nights on short notice.  It was so wonderful to visit with them and meet my little nephew, Ethan.  I enjoyed hanging out with Kelly during the day and had fun practicing my photography skills on this sweet baby boy with his daddy's blue eyes!  One evening Grant, Richard and Nancy and kids came over for pizza.  It was so nice to see them!  I missed Margaret as she was in Utah with her other new granchild. 

I have to say traveling solo was a little strange.  I am rarely without children in tow, but it was a nice time to get away.  Did I say I have an wonderful hubby who held down the fort in my absence?  Thank you Tim for letting me take this trip.  I know the kids had a blast just having daddy time.  And as usual I returned to find the house so nice and clean.  Daddy always knows how to whip those kids into shape!

After my time in Washington DC I drove up to Albany, NY to see Oliver.  What a wonderful weekend we had!  He showed me all his favorite places to hang out.  I got to see his school and we enjoyed just spending time together.  I think my favorite day was Sunday when we went to church together and just spent the rest of the day talking, taking walks and hanging out in my hotel room eating microwave meals.  It was hard to say goodbye amongst many tears and yet my heart was full knowing he is doing so well.  It's even hard for me to write this right now, so much emotion about me being here and he being there.  But, I have always felt that the Lord watches over my children in my absence, and I have never felt stronger about that then I do today.

On Monday my plane touched down back home, back to Seattle, back to the rain, back to my sweet daughters and wonderful hubby who greeted me at the airport with flowers and a sign.  My flight was a little late and I found out they had been waiting over an hour for me.  What troopers!   I love my family and am blessed to have each and every one of them in my life.

2 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

It was great to see you! And Oliver looks like such a handsome man!

Kelly Jo said...

we cherish these pictures so much and my mom adores them! thank you so much for visiting and for capturing such wonderful shots of our little man.